Media Visit Guidelines
One of the primary functions of the Toronto Convention and Visitors Association (Tourism Toronto) Media Relations Department is to assist travel media who are on assignment to produce a Toronto feature with a strategic media outlet.
We receive a considerable number of requests from travel writers seeking legitimate travel writer privileges. We also receive a number of requests from individuals portraying themselves as travel writers in an attempt to receive the same privileges. As a result and to most effectively meet journalists’ editorial, photographic and/or broadcast needs, we ask cooperation in following these guidelines:
- Allow at least four business weeks advance notice.
- You must send us an original and/or legible copy of any article or broadcast tapes that result in your assisted visit to Toronto. We are unable to assist with future media requests from media who fail to provide us with results.
- We assess requests on an individual basis but cannot guarantee assistance will be provided on a complimentary basis, this is often left to the discretion of the host business and subject to availability.
- Black-out periods may be experienced throughout the year that may necessitate a press rate, especially at hotels. Certain dates and events may be subject to restriction including:
- New Year’s Eve/Day
- Citywide Meetings & Conventions
- Peak Season (June to October)
- Toronto International Film Festival
- Tourism Toronto does not provide assistance for personal traveling companions. Our primary concern is assisting working press.
- Tourism Toronto does not negotiate advertising trade-out agreements with industry partners.
- If you are producing a fashion/catalog shoot without significant editorial coverage of Toronto a discounted and/or full rate for accommodations applies.
We appreciate your interest in Toronto and look forward to assisting with your research.
Media Assistance Form
Travel media interested in visiting Toronto should complete the form linked below and submit the following to expedite requests and accommodate needs:
- A letter of assignment on the publication’s letterhead AND/OR
- Three recent examples of travel coverage published in the last year from the outlet you are writing for
- A copy of any previous coverage from past hosted visits
All media should review the guidelines for a complete overview of the process.
Download/open the Media Assistance Form (Word .doc).
Requests may also be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that Tourism Toronto does not handle film permits. To apply for a film permit, please apply to the City of Toronto’s Film, Television and Digital Media Office directly.